Monday, January 17, 2011

Sewing the Negroni Shirt with Male Pattern Boldness


Is it possible that I have just bitten off more than I can chew? I just retrieved my sewing machine from the repair shop and I am feeling over ambitious? Maybe I am crazy? This is violating all the Craft Book Challenge ethic that I have been striving towards, but I just ordered the Negroni pattern from Collette so that I can participate in a Sew-Along!

Never mind that I have never sewn menswear before. Let alone anything with a collar. Or a sleeve placket. Or that when I picked up my sewing machine I had to ask them to show me how the button hole foot works because I have had my machine for almost 4 years and have never once used it. 

Perhaps crazy doesn't do me justice, maybe I am insane.

But I have faith in Peter over at Male Pattern Boldness. He has been making some really terrific clothing for himself and his partner and he only started sewing in 2009! I have been sewing since I was a teenager, so I should be OK, right? Right?

The Negroni pattern looks really retro-cool and the relaxed fit of the collar appeals to me. I think it is time I expand my sewing horizons beyond bags and accessories and very simple clothing, so I guess I'm sewing a hipster shirt for the other person living in the Tiny Apartment! The Sew-Along with MPB starts February 1st, making this project my Valentine's Day Plan. I sure hope the pattern arrives in time!

Psst! there's a promotional code for participants of the MPB Sew-Along that gets you a discount on the Negroni pattern at Collette; click the button in my sidebar if you are interested.

What are you working on for your sweet Valentine? Are you like me, attempting something huge and difficult? Are you more sensible and normal and you make heart cookies or bring them their coffee in bed that day? Is it a secret? I personally like surprises, but I have to measure him pretty extensively for this, so I think he's going to figure it out. He's all smart like that.

Also, have any of you had any experience with Collette patterns? Or attempted a mens button-down shirt? How did that go?

4 comments:

  1. You're going to do great, Gabrielle! As for the others, it's anybody's guess... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one Collette pattern (Beignet skirt) and haven't made it yet but I already love the detailed instructions. She does a gorgeous job with those. I don't have a guy to sew for at the moment, but if I did, this would be such a fun project. Can't wait to see how it turns out! I recently made my first buttonhole and all I can say is: practice a lot before you make it on the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the button hole advice! as soon as I choose my fabrics I will have something to practice on. Right now I can't decide between a cool large scale plaid and a more conservative solid colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This stranger is cheering you on - I'm not brave enough to try something like a shirt yet! And definitely not brave enough to buttonhole....YET.

    Good luck, can't wait to see how it turns out in my Google Reader! :)

    ReplyDelete